Death toll rises to 13 as starvation continues to bite in Baringo county.

– Some of the hardest hit areas include Kadeli, Korio and Katikit, Kamusuk and Kositei – Local leaders called for urgent intervention to prevent more deaths – The government has already flagged off relief food to be distributed in Baringo and Turkana At least five more Kenyans have been confirmed dead in Baringo county as hunger and starvation continue to bite in the drought-stricken county. This brings the total number of deaths reported so far to over 10 as thousands of poor Kenyans living in Baringo and by extension Turkana county stare at drought, starvation and death. Read more.


At least nine others had been reported dead as a result of drought and hunger in Baringo county which is now one of the hardest hit by the prolonged and scorching drought. People Daily. Read more: https://www.tuko.co.ke/300909-death-toll-rises-13-starvation-continues-bite-baringo-county.html#300909
Advertisements

Tanzania sends relief food to flood-ravaged African countries as Kenya battles devastating starvation Read more.

– The Tanzanian government also sent to the affected southern Africa countries 24 tonnes of medicine – President Uhuru Kenyatta on his part sent a condolence message to those who lost loved ones in the disaster – At least 1,000 people were feared dead following the catastrophic floods that struck the southern hemisphere Tanzania has dispatched relief supplies to support victims of the devastating tropical cyclone that hit Malawi, Zimbabwe and Mozambique leaving thousands displaced and more than 1,000 people feared dead. President John Pombe Magufuli’s government flagged off 200 tonnes of maize and 17 tonnes of rice to go towards supporting the three disaster-ravaged southern Africa countries where many were left homeless by the deadly cyclone Idai.

Senator Mutula Kilonzo accuses Uhuru kenyatta.


Makueni senator Mutula Kilonzo Junior on Thursday, March 21, called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to intervene and save Kenyans from dying of hunger.

Makueni senator Mutula Kilonzo Junior has taken a swipe at President Uhuru Kenyatta over government’s assertions that no single Kenyan has died of hunger despite many poor citizens sleeping hungry in several parts of the country. The outspoken Makueni senator termed as insensitive the government’s persistent denial of deaths due to drought and starvation in several counties.

South Sudan government agrees to ceasefire.

fHopes of an end to hostilities in South Sudan were raised on Friday when the government agreed to a ceasefire.More than 1,000 people have been killed in fighting between the government and rebels since 15 December when violent clashes began in the capital, Juba. Neighbouring countries have been anxious to bring the violence to an end and at a meeting in Kenya the South Sudan government agreed to a ceasefire.During the talks held by East Africa’s Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), the region’s leaders called for peace but issued a strong statement of support for the South Sudan government. Uhuru Kenyatta, the Kenyan President, said, “Let it be known we in IGAD will not accept the unconstitutional overthrow of a duly and democratically elected government in South Sudan.”

Despite the ceasefire announcement there were doubts about its effectiveness. The rebels had not been invited to the summit and their leader, Riek Machar, told the BBC that conditions for a truce had not been met.He has demanded 11 political allies accused of plotting a coup be released before he is prepared to end his rebellion. So far, the South Sudan government said it was ready to release eight.

The violence has become increasingly divided along ethnic lines with the Dinka people, of whom President Salva Kiir is one, being accused of targeting the Nuers, who include Malchar.

The announcement of a ceasefire came shortly after government forces captured the town of Malakal and prepared to assault rebel-held Bentiu, the capital of the oil-producing Unity region. Most of South Sudan’s oil production has been shut down by the fighting.

Ethiopia plane crash victim will not bury soil from scene.

A man who lost his wife, three children and mother-in-law in the Ethiopian Airways plane crash on Wednesday ruled out burying the soil scooped from the scene of the accident, as it was against his faith.

Mr Paul Njoroge said he would only hold a prayer mass for his family while awaiting DNA results.

He said he had chosen to accept his loss so that he can release friends and relatives to continue with their lives

“The six months the government has requested so that it can receive results of the DNA analysis on the 5,000 pieces of human bodies collected from the scene is too long, and so we will just hold a prayer mass and wait for DNA results,” Mr Njoroge said, adding that he would have bouquets of flowers but there would be no casket. .

Mr Njoroge, a Seventh Day Adventist, said he would not bury the soil they collected from Bishoftu, 60 kilometres south of Addis Ababa, where authorities had taken them to.

2019: The year of new alliances, referendum

Kanu chairman Gideon Moi and Amani National Congress leader Musalia Mudavadi at an event in Kakamega County on December 1, 2018. Two leaders are reported to be working on a political alliance with ODM leader Raila Odinga.

The three opposition leaders, backed by a section of politicians from the Mt Kenya region are carefully crafting the alliance.

At the heart of the anti-Ruto alliance is the referendum push which the opposition chiefs hope to use a rallying point for their unity.

Leaders also hope to ride on referendum wave to popularise team and create expanded executive.

A political alliance bringing together opposition chiefs Raila Odinga, Musalia Mudavadi and Baringo Senator Gideon Moi could be in the offing, the Saturday Nation has authoritatively learnt.

Multiple sources reveal allies of the three opposition leaders, backed by a section of politicians from the Mt Kenya region were carefully crafting the alliance, which complicates deputy President William Ruto’s march to State House come 2022.

The political events of earlier in the week, which saw Mr Mudavadi host scores of politicians from across the country, including Mr Odinga’s allies, signalled an emerging alliance built around the clamour for a referendum.

REFERENDUM PUSH

Central in last Wednesday’s meeting at Mr Mudavadi’s Vihiga backyard was Jubilee national vice chairman David Murathe, a close ally of President Kenyatta since his days in Parliament between 1997 and 2002.


The sources confided in Saturday Nation that an after-party had been planned at the Ugenya home of Siaya senator James Orengo at which Mr Murathe and former Mukurweini MP Kabando wa Kabando were expected to attend in the spirit of the emerging alliance. Mr Odinga attended the party but Mr Murathe and Mr Kabando opted out following the demise of a close family member of Lugari MP Ayub Savula who was also scheduled to attend

At the heart of the anti-Ruto alliance is the referendum push which the opposition chiefs hope to use a rallying point for their unity. The opposition chiefs also expect to use the referendum and change the constitution to expand the executive, an eventuality which President Kenyatta openly supported during his tour of Kisumu three weeks ago when he voiced the need to create an all inclusive parliament and remove the winner-takes-it-all presidential contest.

Mumias man on the run after raping epileptic girl.


Mwanamisi Salim, in her home at Lukoye Mumias showing a medical report which indicated that her 12 year old daughter was defiled .

A family in Mumias is seeking justice following the defilement of their epileptic daughter by a man who has since gone into hiding.

 Seif Ahmed alias ‘Kobole’ is reported to have raped the 12-year-old for two hours, leaving her with serious injuries in her private parts. 

It is also alleged he left her bleeding profusely.

 Speaking to The Nairobian,  Mariam Auma, the child’s grandmother, said she had sent the girl to buy chapati for dinner.

 Auma claimed that the girl had informed her she would pass by her neighbour’s homestead where a burial was being held.

“I remember the day very well. It was February 25. I had sent her to buy chapatis and she requested if to  pass by our neighbour’s place for a funeral.  I warned her not to be late. By 10pm, she had not returned and I got a little worried,” she said.

 Auma claimed that a few minutes later, she returned home looking disoriented.

“When I demanded to know what the matter was, she refused to talk. Her eyes were red and I suspected something was amiss. It was unlike her since she is the bubbling type,” she said.

Auma told police that she noticed her granddaughter was in pain, though she was trying to hide it.

 “I found her in pain as she attempted to clean her private parts. She was bleeding. It is then that I alerted neighbours who helped me rush her to hospital. She later divulged that Kobole had raped her,” said the grandmother.

The matter was reported at Mumias Police Station before the girl was rushed to Matungu Hospital where it was confirmed that she  had been defiled.

“We found clots of blood at both valves,” read the medical report from Matungu Hospital.

The matter was reported at Mumias Police Station before the girl was rushed to Matungu Hospital where it was confirmed that she  had been defiled.

“We found clots of blood at both valves,” read the medical report from Matungu Hospital.

The girl’s mother, Mwanamisi Salim said all they want is justice. “My daughter is epileptic and it’s unimaginable that someone can do such a thing to her,” she said. 

Mumias OCPD Farah Mohamed said they are looking for the suspect.

“The suspect is on the run but we will catch up with him,” he promised.